Santander Consumer Usa - Don't Ever Finance Your Car with Santander Consumer Unless You Enjoy Harassment

I had a similar experience where I had a medical issue and was only 62 days past due.I received no notice of default or intent to repossess and I worked for an auto financing company for 10 years.

Yes my credit is in the toilet from medical bills, and the only place that would finance me is Santander, which went under the name of RoadWay I believe when I was at the dealer. My rate was 14.99% and I was financed for 72 months! This is the highest rate and longest term I've ever been financed at. Anyway, they came one morning to take my car, after I had called to make payment arrangements 3 days earlier.

I agreed to give my keys to the guy as not to cause trouble and he was just doing his job. He was kind and let me get my stuff out of my car and told me where my car would be. I contacted Santander immediately and they told me I had to pay $772 to bring the account current plus storage fees. Of course this happened on a Friday, so there was no way I was going to be able to get the money to them on time plus come up with the storage which was $150 a day.

I called and spoke with the storage place and explained my situation- they were super nice and said they wouldn't charge me a daily fee and would only charge me a flat fee of $150 until I could come get my car on that Tues as I also needed to get a ride there. I called Santander on Monday with the information from Western Union. They said they would fax the release information to the storage place's home office in Wisconsin (hello- I and the storage place are in Illinois) and they would let their storage place know- hopefully in time before they received the order that the tow truck was coming to pull the auto to the auction yard to Chicago. I was like- I just paid you.

Santander said, yes, but it was repo'd on Friday and the notice to tow to auction was sent out on Monday morning. Needless to say I was pissed off. Luckily I called the storage place and they said they hadn't received the notice of auction yet but they did receive the repo release, so even if the right to auction tow came through they already had the repo release so the tow wouldn't happen. I got my car on Tuesday, the storage place was so nice.

Ever since then, if I'm a day late, Santander starts calling me 4-8 times a day to remind me I'm late. I so want to get my car refinanced with someone else. I feel they are mentally harassing me. I'm considering legal action.

Don't ever finance with them!!!They are a nightmare and play be their own rules!!

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

Interest Rate
Additional Fees

Reason of review:
Poor customer service
Preferred solution:
Stop harassing me and being mentally and emotionally abusive when I'm not even 30 days past due.
Monetary loss:
Product or service
Santander Consumer Auto Loan
Review category
Financial Services
review #738080 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Santander Consumer Usa? Submit review ›
Helpful? 1 Yes 1 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Feb 19 #1114521

Our law firm is currently investigating this company for deceptively and illegally charging fees to unsuspecting consumers.
If you would like to discuss your complaint with us, please email us at or call our Auto Loans Investigations Hotline at 855.441.5999.

0 1 Reply

Nov 22, 2015 #1068189

I agree with you there. I had issues with Santander from day 1. I was making my payments then I have medical bills and financial bills that were pilling up. They would let me defer then turn around and changed the rules on me after I deferred a payment. Each and every time I had contact with them, there were a few reps that were nice. The rest of the reps were unprofessional and did not answer any of my questions. From now on, I will not talk to them unless I get everything from them in writing.

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Santander Consumer Usa. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Santander Consumer Usa.
Filing a new complaint about