Update added by user Sep 21
So I was contacted by Santander yesterday, 9/21.This person's job was damage control - I'm guessing pissedconsumer waved this review in the face of someone who bothered to notice.
Anyways, they apologized, advised to me that one of their staff made a mistake, hence why they were harassing me and applying my payments incorrectly.
The damage that has been done to my credit, they wont do anything about it, nor will they do anything about rectifying my interest vs.
principle balances, so all that extra money I've given them was pointless.
Also, while this "error" was going uncorrected, they were charging me $9.50/day additional interest. Amazing.
There you have it folks.At least I got an apology.
Original review posted by user Sep 16
So over the course of the past 3 years, I have missed three payments. This was only after communicating with the bank by phone and getting their permission. Never once was I told that they are expecting that missed payment IMMEDIATELY.
So after thoroughly researching this situation online, I come to realize this is one of their primary predatory practices.
They will start claiming that each and every subsequent payment is late, they will add fees on top of fees, and then compound additional fees and penalties on all of that.
Case in point, and mind you - I've only missed three payments, with their permission - I make my payments on time and they are due on the 17th of every month:
June 15, 2016: Payment of $550 + $10.95 convenience fee (over 50% to interest)
July 17, 2016: Payment of $509 + $10.95 convenience fee (over 60% to interest!)
August 18, 2016: Payment of $600 + $10.95 convenience fee (over 50% to interest)
Literally days after my payments are made, I get harrassing phone calls demanding the past due amounts. These amounts vary, but apparently, in addition to the normal payment, they are trying to get an additional $300 ~ $1400 from me. In a single calendar month.
They have not yet made any threats to me, since I'm not a deadbeat, but they sure as *** are not interested in explaining why no one informed me about their deferral process - nor are they willing to renegotiate a 22% rate. So, after $13,000 in payments on a $21,000 loan - I still owe $15,000+ dollars.
The math makes zero sense to me, and this bank has been successfully sued in a few states for this exact kind of *** - but apparently certain states protect shady institutions like this.
Also, the only reason I ended up accepting financing from these folks is credit fraud from 2008 that I simply cannot shake. Hooray.
Stay away from this bank. Very far away.
More Review Details
|Diversity of Products or Services|
|Privacy and Data Security|
|Advertised vs Delivered|
|Value for money|
|Product or Service Quality|
|Discounts and Special Offers|
- Reason of review:
- Unfairness, insane collection practices, insane principle/interest calculations, non-existent customer service
- Preferred solution:
- Let the company propose a solution
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Santander Consumer Auto Loan
- Santander Consumer Usa Auto Loan
- Review category
- Financial Services
You May Also Like
- "I started out with Citi Financial Auto they were very professional and understanding. about 2-3 yrs I started getting mail from Santander stating they had took over. Every since it..."
- "I had a similar experience where I had a medical issue and was only 62 days past due. I received no notice of default or intent to repossess and..."
- "Notice how almost all customer complaints against WFG agents get denied? In the review yesterday, How WFGers RIP YOU OFF!, the author talks about looking up WFG agents in Finra’s..."
- "I was seated in first class (5B) and started to feel like I could not breathe and my eyes were watering, then I looked over to see the passenger in..."
- "I purchased a brand new radiator with a lifetime warranty from O'Reilly, had my mechanic (of 20+ years) properly install new radiator. Not even 2 weeks after the new radiator..."
- "I HATE your pizza now! Its taste grose. The pizza dough is sovsweet it taste like a garlic flavored donut. I used to order 2- 3 times every week and..."
- "So I have submitted a receipt from door dash online that states what I have ordered. When I got my food it was the complete opposite. I ordered a mac..."
- "Soy consumidor de tecnología , y los productos son como en la descripción de la página web se indica. Llegan los productos en un paquete bien protegidos, y los..."
- "Very disappointed in this builder. Sold my Maronda Homes built house, purchased this house in July and I immediately began breaking out in hives all over my body. I have..."