Santander Consumer Usa - Horrible practices which should be illegal
Update added by user Sep 21, 2016
So I was contacted by Santander yesterday, 9/21.This person's job was damage control - I'm guessing pissedconsumer waved this review in the face of someone who bothered to notice.
Anyways, they apologized, advised to me that one of their staff made a mistake, hence why they were harassing me and applying my payments incorrectly.
The damage that has been done to my credit, they wont do anything about it, nor will they do anything about rectifying my interest vs.
principle balances, so all that extra money I've given them was pointless.
Also, while this "error" was going uncorrected, they were charging me $9.50/day additional interest. Amazing.
There you have it folks.At least I got an apology.
Original review posted by user Sep 16, 2016
So over the course of the past 3 years, I have missed three payments. This was only after communicating with the bank by phone and getting their permission. Never once was I told that they are expecting that missed payment IMMEDIATELY.
So after thoroughly researching this situation online, I come to realize this is one of their primary predatory practices.
They will start claiming that each and every subsequent payment is late, they will add fees on top of fees, and then compound additional fees and penalties on all of that.
Case in point, and mind you - I've only missed three payments, with their permission - I make my payments on time and they are due on the 17th of every month:
June 15, 2016: Payment of $550 + $10.95 convenience fee (over 50% to interest)
July 17, 2016: Payment of $509 + $10.95 convenience fee (over 60% to interest!)
August 18, 2016: Payment of $600 + $10.95 convenience fee (over 50% to interest)
Literally days after my payments are made, I get harrassing phone calls demanding the past due amounts. These amounts vary, but apparently, in addition to the normal payment, they are trying to get an additional $300 ~ $1400 from me. In a single calendar month.
They have not yet made any threats to me, since I'm not a deadbeat, but they sure as *** are not interested in explaining why no one informed me about their deferral process - nor are they willing to renegotiate a 22% rate. So, after $13,000 in payments on a $21,000 loan - I still owe $15,000+ dollars.
The math makes zero sense to me, and this bank has been successfully sued in a few states for this exact kind of *** - but apparently certain states protect shady institutions like this.
Also, the only reason I ended up accepting financing from these folks is credit fraud from 2008 that I simply cannot shake. Hooray.
Stay away from this bank. Very far away.
More Review Details
|Privacy and Data Security|
|Value for money|
|Product or Service Quality|
|Discounts and Special Offers|
|Advertised vs Delivered|
|Diversity of Products or Services|
- Reason of review:
- Unfairness, insane collection practices, insane principle/interest calculations, non-existent customer service
- Preferred solution:
- Let the company propose a solution
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Santander Consumer Auto Loan
- Santander Consumer Usa Auto Loan
- Review category
- Financial Services
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "Hey it's me Liquid. I was given this in response to my "You are a pyramid" accusation. They claimed that "Why would Nationwide slap their name with World Financial Group..."
- "I got a car financed through Santander. The car was only worth $18,000 but they put me in the hole $21,000. It looks like I would never get the balance..."
- "Not sure how many people read the paper these days...but today in the Bourbonnais, Illinois Daily Journal a story line caught my eye...'IL residents snap up U.S. State Silver Bars'...."
- "I hired Chuck Messina for a divorce. It was a nightmare. He dragged my case forever by creating false problems and giving me false hope. Charles Messina ended up making..."
- "For over a month and a half at my home in Charlotte, NC , USIC has been sitting in the parking area for hours, sometimes never getting out of trucks,..."
- "I ordered the "Meet your dream" Bouquet/Teddy bear/Chocolates combo from Phoolwala.com. They charged me an extra Rs.400 for delivery charges to that small town. I ordered this bouquet for a..."
- "Avana Lenox in Atlanta Georgia is ant Infested. I moved in two weeks ago and have been dealing with ants in every room (literally) everyday I asked to be let out..."
- "I bought the oasis/chestnut blended leather sectional with two recliners and a storage Otto w/caster about three years ago and I have taken care of them cleaning with leather care..."
- "Very disappointed by airbnb's customer service in helping find a resolution for the cancellation of a recent booking. Although I provided strong rationale for booking cancellation including misrepresentation of property..."