13.4K views

I was laid off in 2008. Just to stay afloat, I took a job working at a movie theater. As a result of the lower income, I fell behind on my car payments.

I concede that is my own fault and I take responsibility for that.

Three weeks ago, I got a new, full-time job and began catching up on my debts.

I had a 2007 Ford Mustang with a loan through HSBC Auto (which was acquired by Santander). I made the agreed upon payment, and they still took my car.

On 10/6/10 I talked to a collections rep (name unknown) with Santander who told me that my car had been assigned for repossession and I would need to make a payment of $275 by Friday, 10/8/10 to stop that from happening.

On 10/7/10, I made a payment of $310.

My car was repossessed ANYWAY the night of 10/7/10 - 10/8/10.

When I called Santander to get the situation resolved, 3 people (an account manager named Tasha, a collections person named Margaret Mays, and another account manager named Ed) said that it was their mistake or they empathized with the righteousness of my situation but they said it was out of their authority.

Fair enough.

I was transfered to a woman in "reinstatement" (name unknown) who claimed that the reason the repossession had occurred was that since my payment had been made after business hours, the "stop" on the repossession had not reached their repossession affiliate.

At this point, I felt that although I had already missed a day of work at my new job for this, it was a relatively easy fix. They just had to contact their affiliate repossession company and have them return the car to me ASAP.

Unfortunately, it wasn't that easy. The woman in "reinstatement" with Santander said that what I had been told about having until 10/8/10 to pay was from "a different department" so therefore, it didn't matter, and that in order to get the car back, I would have to pay the ENTIRE past due amount, repossession fees of approximately $500, and whatever arbitrary fees the the repossession company might choose to charge me. Her explanation was that because the message between them and the repossession company was apparently "crossed" that they are not at fault.

This is ridiculous because:

- I had been told I had until Friday to make my payment; the payment was made Thursday, IT POSTED Thursday, and the car was still taken Thursday. Even if their story about it being after business hours on Thursday was true, it wouldn't matter because I had been told I had until Friday anyway.

- The repossession company is their affiliate.

- It doesn't matter if I had been told by a different department, it's all still the same company. What kind of business practice allows one department of the company to say that it doesn't matter what agreements another department makes?

I asked for a manager and was twice disconnected in transfer.

I called back and spoke with a collections person named Sal who repeated Santander's line "shedding responsibility" and was somewhat rude. I asked for his manager and was transferred to Mario Compean who identified himself as Sal's boss. He was much more polite, but he also repeated Santander's refusal to do what is right and rectify the situation. In addition he said that the 3 previous employees who had said that I was in the right would be disciplined for putting the company at risk.

I explained to Mario that if that was Santander's position, then I would file a complaint to the Better Business Bureau - which I have done. While he did not "write-it-off", he did not seem concerned.

Mario transferred me to a voice mail for Terra Stewart who is apparently a manager in the "Reinstatement Department". I left a message for her to please call back, but have not heard from her.

This is very much an unfair business practice.

A fair resolution would be for the car in question ("my car") and my property returned to me as soon as possible. Without any problems or "hoops" from either Santander nor their repossession affiliate.

This includes:

- Not having to pay the entire past due balance BEFORE getting the car back, as this would not be the case if it had not been repossessed which as per my payment on 10/7/10 should not have happened.

- Not being charged a "repossession fee" - again because the repossession should not have happened to begin with.

- No associated fees (such as for clearing up police reports).

- Not being forced to pay fees including storage or other fees from Santander's repossession affiliate.

- No "hassles" such as "you must pick up your car 100 miles from your house during the hours of 1-3 PM" for example.

I would also like a formal, written apology from the company.

And finally, since this is CLEARLY an unfair business practice, I would like the policy amended not only for me, but for all consumers. It is not fair nor right for a company to offer an agreement, then refuse to honor their agreement because 1. the agreement was "made by a different department (in the same company)" and 2. "the message 'did not get to their own affiliate in time'"

Comments

When I purchase my car Santander said the loan would be $25,000 got something in the mail saying it was $40,000

Los Angeles, California, United States #1267114

Santander Consumer USA is unethical in their business practices and procedures for doing business. Here is our story.

My husband purchases a vehicle for himself in 2005 through Frham Dodge in Norco, Ca. which was financed by Americredit. Awesome company by the way I would reccomend them 1000 times over. Anyway in February 2007 my husband decided to purchase a vehicle for me.

At the time we were told that we should refinance my husbands truck for a lower payement which in the end would help us to meet our payment goals between the two. So we did, we refinanced his vehicle with Citi Financial also great company to work with. So with the refinance done we were ready to start looking for vehicle number 2. We found a great buy and went through with the purchase.

Vehicle number 2 was financed through HSBC whom we found to be very easy to deal with. Near the middle to the end of 2008. We learned that my husband was going to be deploying with his unit back to Iraq. We went to a military briefing with his unit where they informed us to contact our creditors and let them know that he would be deploying and that we wanted them to be aware that we didn't forsee any arising issues however, there could be within the first month of the deployment with his pay.

At this time both HSBC and Citi Financial chose to have us enroll and sign a contract with them for the sailors and soldiers relief act. Claimed they appreciated his service and wanted to thank him by lowing our interest rate down to 6% on both vehicles and cutting the payments in half. We were both in shock and happy at the same time. Husband is scheduled for an 18 month deployment and this will certainly help with the stress on my end while he's gone.

Spring forward to March of 2010 I just had made my payment to Hsbc a week earlier and I receive a phone call from Santander Consumer USA requesting a payment from me. I respond with I'm not sure if you have the right number I don't have Santander Consumer. I was then told that they had bought all the loans from HSBC because they were no longer doing auto loans ugh really??? Okay so why are you calling me and why didn't HSBC inform me of this transition?

No response but they explained that I needed to make a payment I again told them look I made this months payment with Hsbc at the beginning of the month literally a week ago per my payment statement. Customer Service agent then says you need to contact HSBC and ask them for proof of this payment. I did just as I was told and proof was then sent over to Santander. I think okay little mix up nothing to worry about agent tells me I should be receiving a statement in the mail before my next payment is due.

I didn't receive that statement but I went ahead and called in to make the payment to avoid any issues with a late or missed payment. At that time I was informed that I was late with my payments and not just a little late but a lot late. Im talking 18 months late. I told the man look we have not missed a payment nor have we been late since our first payment was made in 2007.

He then informs me oh yeah you have made payments alright but they were only partial payment and you owe the rest and this must be brought current by the end of the week and that my car was now placed on the Repossession list. I was like whoa whoa wait a minute. I explained that we have a signed contract stating that we were to pay $305.45 per month with an interest rate of 6%. The agent say I'm not sure where you dreamt those numbers up but you behind 18 months pay up or give the car back.

I ask to speak to his supervisor who finally comes to the phone and listens to the situation and tells me that he undestands my complaint but that they don't recognize the sailors and soldiers relief act. I'm like what it's a signed contract and I didn't ask to have you as a finance company. I then tell them that I want to speak to his supervisor. He tells me that I have to pay before the end of the week and that he's pretty much the highest I can go before talking to the president of the company.

I think am in panic trying to figure out what to do. I call my parents for help I send and email to our family readiness officer explaining the situation. He advises to get all the information I can from the company and that my husband would have to seek base legal for further help. Yet, he gives me further options to try and help the situationn while we wait for them to get a hold of my husband.

During this time I'm fighting with Santander day and night. To the point of finally being transferred to the office of the president who then tells me that after they have divulged all the information that have to me that they no longer can speak with me because I'm not listed on the loan. (It is illegal for them to share that information with me without permission.) However, they alreay had broken that rule. Needless to say at this point I intend to fax them my power of attorney's special and general so that I can try to handle the situation.

During the middle of all this I receive a call from Santander regarding another payment. I'm like man I'm working on it. I know your trying to repossess but the office of the president has placed a hold. That is when the agent informs me that now they are the new lein holder on my husbands truck that was with Citi Financial and I need to make a payment.

I again inform them that payment was made and I have to go through the same run down as I did by getting proof of payment from Citi Financial. Then I receive a call two weeks later stating that now I'm behind 18 months on that vehicle and basically the same story ensues as the previous situation. So I borrow money from parents and I'm told by the military to go to Navy Relief to get further help bringing payments current. Due to the husband being deployed and unable to handle the situation I had no other choice at that moment.

So I faxed in the power of attorney's for both accounts (yes they requested that I fax it to them twice each with the account number for each individual acct # on the top of each transmission. After faxing that in I call in and make the payments and bring both vehicles current. Then I'm told thanks for making those payments but now I have late fees on both vehicles that need to be paid for. I'm like look my husband is deployed I have jumped through hoops to get you everything you asked for and still there is a problem.

I demand that they honor the sailors and soldiers relief act and I am told it's not up to them to support the military that's up to the family of those members and if I couldn't make and keep the payments up to date that I should do what i could on my end to help my military husband out like get a job I'm. My response is I have a job and I work full time. Agent responds with maybe you could sell yourself on the street to make ends meet. Do your part lady and then hangs up!

So I struggle and fight with them on a regular basis until my husband returns. No missed payments and at my wits end with these people. So we decide the only way out is to trade the cars in and get a different finance company. While at the local dealership we tell our story and tell the finance manager that we are only trading the vehicles in to get rid of Santander.

After listening to our story he tells us to do him a favor and to request our payment history on both vehicles and to bring it into him. We did in fact do that for both vehicles which we had to pay for to get. We returned to the dealership with copies of all our contracts and our payment history and at that time after review of our documents and payment history and sailors and soldiers relief act contracts he told us that we shouldn't trade out of the cars but to see an attorney. So we went to base legal.

At this time it's now 2012 the car dealer after looking over our information that Santander sent us said that vehicle number 2 should be paid off and that with what we over paid should be applied to my husbands vehicle. We explained the situation to base legal and they offered to call Santander while we were in their office to get things handled at this time they spoke to a person by the name of Ramona in the office of the president who looked over the information and stated that she agreed with not only us but the Jag official and the auto car finance manager and that she would have title for vehicle number 2 sent to us and that we could apply the over paid amount to my husbands vehicle which would mean we only had about 6 more payments to be made on that vehicle. We then go home and talk to one of my parents regarding the situation and telling them the outcome. We are relieved and we have decided to take the amount of money that we had been having to pay on vehicle number 2 and apply it along with the payment amount for my husbands truck to help pay off that vehicle even sooner.

So the very next morning we go to santanders website to login and we are denied access. Can't log in. We no longer are receiving payment statements from Santander on either vehicle. We start the process of calling and entering out account number for vehicle number 2 to see where our title is since we have not received it.

We are told it takes 6 to 8 weeks for that to get processed and that they are backlogged and we should give them a few more weeks. Mind you when we call in and enter our account number it auto directs us to titles. We go back and forth with them for several months. Then our home flooded and we are displaced for several months and my husband is in an auto accident.

Title isn't top priority at that time. Fast forward to 12/08/2016 I am awoken to my car alarm going off and my vehicle number 2 is on the back of a tow truck being repossessed. I call santander and they claim that we owe $17,000 plus on the vehicle! They claim they will not return the car now will they make any arrangements for me unless I choose to settle the loan for another amount.

I say to them you haven't contacted us nor have you even reported any late payments or anything to my husbands credit report and the agent says oh well that's because he was under the sailors and soldiers relief act and now that he's out of the military we don't have to honor that. I'm like wait you wouldn't honor the contract when we first started fighting with you in the beginning of all this.. So before they are willing to move forward we had to pay another $9000.00 to get the car back and they claim that after that was paid then they would discuss with us further about rectifying the situation. I have been in contact with the Texas State Attorney General, I have contacted the Federal Trade Commision, I have also contacted the Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection.

I suggest any and all of you to do the same After I pick up my car from these scam artists I will also be filing a complaint with TDLR! The attorney general informs this isnt the first complaint against them and they encourage everyone to continue to complain and file complaints with the above mentioned organizations to help fight against Santander!

Thanks a lot, this really is a truly awsome article! I need help with this too!

You will be surprised how easy it can be to fill forms. Try fillingl NYS DMV MV-327 through the online sowtware https://goo.gl/zSk8k9

I purchased a vehicle from santander. 2013.

It was a 2005. I keep having trouble out of santander. Keep saying that I'm behind on my payments. Which I'm not.

Have receipts. Yes like you said every time you go to make a payment they charge you 10.95. That's ridiculous. Think of that extra money there getting from me.

They say I still owe for 2 more yrs.....not. A happy customer.....

Bought a 2007 Ford escape in January 2010 and it was financed through Santander at 19% because of my bad credit. Payment is 383 per month.

Both me and my wife's name was on the title. 2012 comes. Wife files ch7 and Santander said that if she wants to re affirm with them, we need to pay 800. She didn't reaffirm.

During this time period, we didn't make 2 payments and were told no problem, they will be added at the end of the loan and the loan will be extended from 1/16 to March 2016. During the remaining years of 2012 through Jan 2016, I was locked out of their website, they never called me and never reported to any credit bureaus. Was told to just continue payments. On Jan 22 of 2016, got a call saying my car was going to be repo'd for non payment back in 2012.

I needed to pay them $1600 to stop the repo. At that point, I still owed 5422 on the 18K loan. I went to a dealer and they paid it off and I drove off in a brand new JEEP. Lessons learned.

I am now with Chrysler Capital, still owned by Santander but now on the good side of a loan.

NEVER USE SANTANDER!!! They are all thieves.

This is not an unfair business practice. It's called theft.

I have a fraudulent Lian with them after my car dealer rewrote the loan and pocketed all my down payment and trade in cash plus I paid tax and tags in cash and that went into his pocket also. They he put hidden charges into the rewritten loan so he could steal my cash. Plus the loan paper has a 2 grand gap. If santander took on a loan that doesn't add up to the correct numbers then they are either *** as *** or they are in on the fraud.

I didn't make my first payment yet and I told santander that the dealer is responsible for the loan now and that car is now mine and paid in full. If I make a payment then I'm helping to commit fraud and that would be against the law on my end. If they try to take MY car I'll beat them with the bat I just bought. I don't have to follow corporate law.

It doesn't apply to me. Only the corporations must follow their own laws. That's my car and it stays with me and me only. *** those thieves.

I just say NO.

If they bother me I will kill anyone that touches my property and I have the right to do so if anyone comes on my property and tries to steal my property. I don't anyone *** as far as I'm concerned.

This is a repeated process for this company. They call you seven days a week, morning, noon and all times of night, and if you make your payment today they will call you tomorrow.

They don't understand, the concept of paying extra to pay off your loan early, and as for their concept of math, I am not sure they understand math, or time . It is sad to repo a vehicle during daylight and list the repo time for 3:00 A.M. in the morning. It is hard, impossible to understand their operational procedures, and best luck if you have an opportunity to speak, during their phone calls to you.

They are experts at talking at you, and not with you. Zero points on people skills and business practice.

Houston, Texas, United States #854499

Customers I had great credit but no job my credit was ruin. I put the carrot before the horse waiting on a job I got a car through Santander.

I have had my car for a 1 1/2 year now. Love the car!

Now I regret the purchase interest to high cant

refiance plus now back in debt with this purchase. JUST BUY A CASH CAR WAIT BE PATIENT!!!

Bellmawr, New Jersey, United States #722031

Bill collectors are paid to lie. Period.

Nothing they say is of any importance or any relevance whatsoever.. unless they give it to you in writing.

to Jim #799469

ABSOLUTELY!!!!

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States #596976

Good luck with getting this company to admit what they did was wrong, according to them, they are NEVER wrong, we are for even missing a payment and keeping their collectors with a job how dare we put this added expense on them. Never mind that there are situations beyond our control that make us fall short.

No matter who you talk to in this company you will always get a different answer, no one seems to agree on anything except they want your money by any means necessary..one lady even told me to go get a loan, what? Umm excuse me, I'm unemployed how is that going to work..so I politely told her lady you should do what you can to help me because if it weren't for me losing my job and missing a payment you would be where I am!

I'm having the same problem,I would love to join

My car was repossed even tho I'd Made every pymt . After a huge mess I got my car back .

Many phone conversations later I was PROMISED a letter that all credit reports that were put against me would be removed and proof that it was . I received nothing . I was also offered a reduced pymt and was told to call and confirm that Santander recieved the faxed documents . I left numerous messages and no return call .

I lost 12 hours pay . And still no follow up !

They made tons of VERBAL promises but absolutely nothing in writing . Unbelievable that this even happened and no compensation to me .

How many payments were missed before they came and took the car??

8/22/2012 The same exact thing has just happen to my sister in Knox.Tenn. After she made the payment, they took the car anyways that night. Then in the morning they pulled the good ole after business routine.

Could you believe that I have my title of my vehicle and in error Santander repossessed my vehicle. They even sent me a notice the next day of selling my vehicle.

To get the car back I had to sign some paper releasing them their agents, mother, father from this error.

Just wrote a letter to the CEO of Santander. If I don't hear back I will take other measures.

I've had the pleasure of them buying out my loan from Citi. They have ruined my account. I encourage anyone dealing with Santander to join the class action lawsuit against them.

to Santander is a rip off! Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States #596983

Do you know of a class action against them? I'd join

to Santander is a rip off! #799475

THANKS!! I AGREE.....TOTAL RIP OFF!!

It's no breakdown. It's clearly a scam on their part.

Set-up a payment... then take the car anyway and claim there was some sort of "miscommunication" with the repo company.

It took me about 2 weeks to get the car back, but I had to pay their exorbitant demands and I am currently suing them to get my money back.